Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This feature has a different (usually) book related topic each week, and the goal is to compose a list of ten things that correspond to the topic!
This week’s theme is: Childhood Books You’d Love to Revisit as an Adult
I just want to start by saying that as I compiled this list I realized that I pretty much only read series’ when I was a child. Also, I’m using the words “child” and “childhood” pretty loosely, because these books range from when I couldn’t even read to middle school.
- The Bailey School Kids Series – Of course this one had to be on my list since I just posted about the series a few days ago! I don’t think I need to say anything more about it here.
- Protector of the Small Series – I think that this series was my introduction into the world of historical fiction. These books promoted girls being able to do whatever they wanted to do, and it was awesome! Yes girl power!
- Clifford the Big Red Dog Series – I grew up with Clifford, and I think he’s a big reason why I love dogs so much!
- The Berenstain Bears Series – Mama, Papa, Sister, and Brother were like my second family. Even before I could read I had these books memorized! Thanks to my own Mama for reading to me all the time.
- The Secret Life of Dilly McBean – I remember finding this book in my local library when I was younger, it was the longest book I had read at the time, and I freaking loved it. To this day it still remains seared into my brain. Any book that has such a lasting impact as this one has had on me should be read by everyone!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Series – I honestly can’t remember much about these books, but I stumbled across these on a website not too long ago and my memory was sparked. They remind me of being at my family’s camp and reading in our trailer.
- Daughters of the Moon Series – I was obsessed with these books! I mean, as a young girl, look at that cover, how could you NOT be? This series is a YA fantasy series, and there was even a spin off series, Sons of the Dark.
- Wayside School Series – These stories were hilarious. I can remember reading them and trying to relate the crazy things that happened at Wayside School to things that would happen at my own school.
- Sweet Pickles Series – This is another series that reminds me of being at camp with my family. I’m proud to say that I still have this series. One of my favorite parts was that the inside cover of each book had pictures of all of the characters – it was awesome!
- The Boxcar Children – Hello adventures! These kids were so badass, living on their own and solving mysteries. I totally wanted to be a Boxcar kid, but my Mom wouldn’t let me. I would also just like to note that while writing this list I discovered that there are 137 books in this series, holy crap! They also have been published from 1942 to 2014. Is there a slightly insane part of me that is determined to re-read them all? Yes, yes there is.
Well that was a fun trip down memory lane…
What are some of your favorite books from childhood, or who are some of your favorite characters from your favorite childhood books?