Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine. This feature highlights an upcoming release that I am excited about.
How to Disappear by Ann Redisch Stampler
Release Date: June 14, 2016
Total Pages: 416
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller
Goodreads Book Description
This electric cross-country thriller follows the game of cat and mouse between a girl on the run from a murder she witnessed—or committed?—and the boy who’s sent to kill her.
Nicolette Holland is the girl everyone likes. Up for adventure. Loyal to a fault. And she’s pretty sure she can get away with anything…until a young woman is brutally murdered in the woods near Nicolette’s house. Which is why she has to disappear.
Jack Manx has always been the stand-up guy with the killer last name. But straight A’s and athletic trophies can’t make people forget that his father was a hit man and his brother is doing time for armed assault. Just when Jack is about to graduate from his Las Vegas high school and head east for college, his brother pulls him into the family business with inescapable instructions: find this ruthless Nicolette Holland and get rid of her. Or else Jack and everyone he loves will pay the price.
As Nicolette and Jack race to outsmart each other, tensions—and attractions—run high. Told in alternating voices, this tightly plotted mystery and tense love story challenges our assumptions about right and wrong, guilt and innocence, truth and lies.
Why I’m Excited
I’m just in a mood right now where every mystery/thriller book that I come across sounds exactly like the next book I want to lose myself in (not literally – I don’t know how well I’d fair in these situations). Just reading the synopsis for this one has my mind burning with questions and thoughts:
- What is with the teaser that Nicolette possibly committed the murder and didn’t just witness it?
- Is this going to be one of those “it should have been me but it was her?” kind of scenarios, which causes Nicolette to have all kinds of guilt and that’s why she feels like she committed the murder herself?
- So help me, I really hope they explain why Nicolette decides to run and not just turn to the police or witness protection or whatever…
- Why does Jack’s family want Nicolette dead?
- Was Jack’s family responsible for the actual murder?
- Just how in love are Jack and Nicolette going to fall?
- How in the hell are they going to get out of this?
So yeah… that’s just a small brain dump of everything that’s swirling in my mind around this book. ALSO – alternating voices in a book like this is going to be awesome. I wonder if this will be the type of book that offers up all the good details and backstory right up front to focus on the chase, or if this is going to be a slow leak of details. GUESS I’LL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE!
What book do you have pre-ordered or just can’t wait to get your hands on?