You may be wondering where I have been. It is a valid question, and I wish I had a good answer for you. Unfortunately, life has just been happening and I haven’t had time to spend on blogging. Sad face! Things seem to be calming down a bit now, though, so my goal is to start giving this blog the love that it deserves! Now… onto the good stuff!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This feature has a different (usually) book related topic each week, and the goal is to compose a list of ten things that correspond to the topic!
This week’s theme is: Books that I Liked More or Less than I Thought that I Would
The following books are books that I had high hopes for, or was very excited to read, that did not live up to my expectations.
- With Malice by Eileen Cook – I should know better than to get my hopes up with regards to YA mysteries and thrillers. Usually (there are exceptions, of course!) they lack all of the thrills and all of the mystery and just leave me rolling my eyeballs so hard that they fall out of my head. This “promised” thrills plus Italy, so of course I was a pushover and gave it a go hoping that it wouldn’t be completely terrible, but unfortunately I found it completely terrible.
- Hello? By Liza M. Wiemer – This one was all over blogs and being raved about by so many people that I just had to give it a shot. It sounded interesting enough. I don’t know what the disconnect was between me and other who love this book, but not one single thing about this story or the characters resonated with me. It was just, meh.
- Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake – Check out my review for this one. To summarize, it was just an uncomfortable read for me.
- Twisted Palace by Erin Watt – I’ll be posting a full review of this one soon, so won’t say too much here. Classic case of a series just fizzling out.
- The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Series by Laini Taylor – Check out my review for this series. I had a lot of issues with it, which made me sad because Laini Taylor’s writing style is beautiful.
- The Midnight Star by Marie Lu – Will be reviewing the whole Young Elites series on my website soon, so again, won’t say too much. And again, unfortunately this seems to just be another case of a series dive bombing at the end.
- Paranormalcy by Kiersten White – Check out my review for this book. I feel that there were a lot of missed opportunities with this book. Also really did not enjoy Evie as the main character.
These three books are books that I decided to read but did not think that I would enjoy quite as much as I did.
- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare – Don’t get me wrong, I am a Cassandra Clare fan, but sometimes I think her books (and series’) are unnecessarily long. I also wasn’t all that sold on needing to dive back into this world again. I read this anyways, and I freaking LOVED it. If you want to hear me gush about this, you can read my review.
- The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon – Reviewing this soon (dude – I’m so far behind on my reviews, I beg forgiveness)! I wasn’t the biggest fan and had a lot of issues with Everything, Everything, but wanted to give this one a try because I heard it was powerful and I feel that the subject matter was an important one.
- Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes – Check out my review, if I do say so myself I think I did a pretty good job of explaining why I wasn’t all that excited to read this and then also yelling at myself for being such an idiot about hesitating to read it because it ended up being amazing. Whew, that was one very long run-on sentence. Please forgive me!
What are some of the books that have seriously underachieved or overachieved on your expectations?